by Dave Warner

Fumes from a stove fire filled the Coco Bazaar Boutique Store at 32 West Main Street in Little Falls early Wednesday afternoon. Units from the City, Herkimer, and Ilion responded to the scene. By 3 o’clock, the lights were back on and fans were pushing the remaining fumes out the door.

The culprit was a pot of olive oil and other substances on the stove that overheated, boiled over, and caused acrid smoke to fill the building. According to owner Melanie Pagan, they had sold off a lot of the inventory in the store in preparation for their move next door in a couple of weeks.  All of the new merchandise was stored in the second level, so none of that was affected.

The incident may delay their planned opening in the new spot as they take stock of the damage.

The fire department had to make entry into the Fall Hill Bead and Gem store next door to make sure that their building was clear of fumes as well. That business has been in the process of selling off its inventory in preparation for a move to Canal Place.