Little Falls Firefighters and rescue crews discovered the body of one man early Tuesday morning after a fire on Main Street. The fire started just before midnight inside the Snyder Apartments at 8 West Main Street.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Dave George with the Little Falls Fire Department, a man was found in a third-floor apartment, but that at that time, it was unclear how he died. The fire was contained mostly to the west end of the hallway on that floor, but that there was heavy smoke damage to the rest of the building.

There were at least three people rescued and treated on-scene and several others were told to evacuate the building.

Mayor Mark Blask posted on Facebook, “Thank you to the Little Falls Fire Department who consistently does such a remarkable job. We would also like to thank the local first responders from throughout the valley who assisted. Please keep the family of the deceased in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”

According to the Mohawk Valley  Chapter of the American Red Cross, they are assisting other residents displaced by the fire and that thirteen people have been financial assistance for shelter, food, and clothing.

Timothy D. Regan

The victim was later identified as Timothy D. Regan, 60, of Little Falls. Mohawk Valley Funerals and Cremations has been entrusted with funeral arrangements and there are no calling hours. Friends and relatives were respectfully invited to Regan’s Mass of Christian Burial scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Holy Family Parish in Little Falls.

The Regan family thanked the Little Falls Police and Fire Departments, Chief Parese and the other departments and first responders that were called in to assist. They also sent a special thank you to Mayor Mark Blask, Police Chief Ron Petrie and Coroner Vincent Enea, that said they are “all friends and true professionals.”

An autopsy determined Regan’s cause of death. Herkimer County District 3 Coroner Vincent Enea said Wednesday’s autopsy, conducted at Albany Medical Center, revealed Regan died from “asphyxia due to inhalation of smoke.”

Enea pronounced 60-year-old Regan dead at 1:12 a.m. Tuesday in the Little Falls Hospital Emergency Room.

State and local officials will continue to investigate to determine the cause of the blaze.

Fire departments from Little Falls, Herkimer, East Herkimer, Frankfort, and Salisbury responded to the fire, as well as MOVAC.

Photos by Andy McEvoy