Try listening to the story instead of reading it!
Little Falls Hospital is seeking volunteers and supporters to assist in the manufacture of fabric surgical masks. While the fabric masks are not a substitute for healthcare grade respirator-type masks, this is a coordinated effort to use the fabric masks to extend the life and supply of the respirator masks. These respirator masks are on critical short supply nationally and provide the best protection for our healthcare workers, patients, and community.
Detailed information can be found at https://www.bassett.org/covid-19/fabric-surgical-masks
There are multiple ways you can assist. Some of these include:
- Donation of your time in sewing of the fabric masks
- Donation of supplies
- Monetary donation to purchase supplies for use by the volunteer sewing team.
All materials and donated masks will be disinfected prior to and between uses.
If you desire to donate your time in the creation of masks:
- A standardized pattern is available for use, including written and video instructions.
- We are looking for both 2-PLY and 3-PLY masks.
For sewing people interested in donating fabric as well as their time, please see the supply guidelines below. If you are in need of supplies, please contact the Bassett Medical Center Volunteer Department.
To Donate Finished Masks: In the Mohawk Valley donations of masks may be dropped off at Little Falls Hospital. Please contact Beckie Hall at 315-823-5349 to make arrangements for delivery and receipt of those items.
If you desire to donate supplies to the effort, of need are:
- Preshrunk 100% cotton of a tight weave (white is preferred, but patterns and colors are acceptable.)
o 1 yard creates approximately 5 masks
o No red fabrics please – the color may run when laundered and disinfected.
- Elastic cord or 1/8” elastic ribbon
o 1 yard creates approximately 2 masks
If you wish to submit a monetary donation to support these or other efforts:
- Please contact the Development Office at (315) 823-5290.
- Visit friendsofbassett.org and look for the “Donate Now” in the upper right corner.
o With the donation form, please select the “designation” of “Other” and then enter “COVID 19 – LFH” in the designation box. This will ensure donations are restricted to Little Falls Hospital and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Again, thank you for your interest, support, and efforts to keep our community safe and healthy! Your assistance is greatly, and humbly, appreciated!