Summer is finally on the way and it’s a great time for seniors to get out and enjoy the sunshine. However, this can be difficult for seniors who have limited mobility. They may feel that it is too much work to get outside or they may even feel embarrassed by their need to use a cane or a walker. Here are some suggestions about how to get your loved one out of the house:
- Suggest your loved one sit by an open window for a few minutes every morning. The feeling of fresh air may encourage them to go outside.
- Set up a bird feeder outside a window.
- Serve meals at the window.
- If space is available, consider planting a small garden or even just a few plants. New seedlings are exciting to watch as they grow.
- If your loved one’s home has a private patio or porch, encourage them to sit outside for a few minutes every day. They may feel more comfortable being alone outside, with neighbors or strangers around.
- Encourage your loved one to go to the mailbox daily (either walking or in a wheelchair, if needed). This not only provides a few minutes of fresh air but also something to look forward to on a daily basis.
Once the senior feels more comfortable with getting outside, they may want to take one step further and take a short walk or trip to the park.
This information was provided by www.agingcare.com. If you have any questions please contact Herkimer County Office for the Aging or NY Connects for more information at 315-867-1124 or www.herkimercounty.org go to departments then Office for the Aging.