Each week the Herkimer County Office for the Aging posts our thermometer that we created to track the number of COVD-19 vaccinations in Herkimer County.
We would like to thank all those who have been vaccinated and encourage others who have not been vaccinated to get vaccinated. We understand that some people may be concerned about getting vaccinated and we understand their apprehension. Information is the key to helping people understand what is in the vaccine and how it works. If you have been vaccinated please share your vaccination experience with someone who has not been vaccinated.
Here is some information to share with those who are concerned about getting vaccinated.
What is in the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines and how does it work?
- The Moderna & Pfizer vaccines are very similar, they both use Messenger RNA(MRNA) to deliver information to our bodies.
- MRNA is present in all of our bodies.
- The MRNA in the vaccines tells our bodies to create the spike protein that is present on the outside of the COVID-19 virus.
- The vaccine does not have any live virus or DNA in it.
- The vaccine contains lipids, sugar, and sodium that are present in all of our bodies.
- The vaccine does not contain any preservatives.
- The MRNA vaccine tells your body to create just enough of the spike protein so that your body can create antibodies to the COVID-19 virus.
- Once the MRNA tells your body to make the spike protein it is quickly destroyed by the cell.
- Both vaccines are safe & effective.
If you are concerned about getting vaccinated please ask questions. In order to eradicate COVID-19 as many people as possible need to get vaccinated. I know that we all want things to back to normal so I hope that everyone can do their part.