Photographs by Julie McCoy, POP Board Member
John and Norma Stehnach, 562 East Gansevoort Street, Little Falls, have been honored with Preserve Our Past’s Historic Preservation Award for spring 2021.
Their fine house was originally constructed in 1888 by the Burrell family to be used as a manse for the local Presbyterian Church. Typical elements of its Queen Anne style include an asymmetrical facade, a rooftop balustrade, cut stone cellar walls, an ornamented chimney, and a delightful variety of window designs and shapes which include one of the few three-section Palladian windows in the City.
After the congregation sold the property, it was owned by a series of families until it came into the capable hands of the Stehnachs in 2001. All major systems in the house have been updated or replaced, a new roof applied, the chimney repointed, and the exterior shingles stripped off to reveal the original siding which has been repainted.
Additional property was purchased from the adjacent lot on the east to create the gracefully curving driveway which is complementary to the style of the house.
The Stehnachs also take great pride in their landscaping and have enhanced the property with a collection of interesting plantings.
Preserve Our Past is proud to honor this family as significant contributors to Little Falls’ historic preservation accomplishments.
Nan Ressue, Preserve Our Past Board Member